Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Comfort Food: Easy Chicken and Dumplings

This dish has quickly become a staple for me when I take food to a sick friend or someone who's just had a baby, etc. It's well-liked by most everyone, and couldn't be easier! It's also easy to eat for someone who is ill or otherwise needs something pretty mild.

I have to say though, I made this last night for my friend, Kimberly, who just had a baby. I made a double recipe so we could eat some too, and I didn't measure the liquid. That was a mistake. After I got back home from taking her their dish, I found that ours was very thick and dry, and some of the biscuits might not have been completely done (due to the lack of liquid to cook them in). Oops! If you happen to read this, Kimberly - I'm sorry it wasn't as good as it should have been! Otherwise, this is an extremely easy dish to make and before then, I thought it to be foolproof.

The credit for this delicious recipe goes to Holly :)

Chicken and Dumplings
Ingredients:
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 cans cream of celery soup (any cream soup works - I usually use 1 cream of celery and 1 cream of chicken, but have used mushroom as well)
Salt and pepper to taste
12 ounce refrigerated biscuit dough (I buy flaky)

Directions:
In large pot over high heat, combine the chicken with enough water to cover and boil 15-20 minutes. Remove chicken from pot. Reserve 3 cups of the broth and leave in the pot; discard the rest. After chicken has cooled a bit, pull apart into bite size pieces; return to pot with broth.
Reduce heat to medium, and add the soup. Season with salt and pepper. Cut or pull biscuit dough into pieces and add to the soup. Simmer over medium heat for 7-8 minutes or until the dough is cooked through.

Don't forget to leave a comment if you try this!

No comments: