Saturday, January 17, 2009

More Comfort Foods: Lasagna and Banana Nut Bread

A couple of weeks ago, I delivered food to someone who had just had a baby. I decided to try a new dish (I never do that when taking food!). This is a Southern Living recipe, and I made a double batch so we could have some too. YUM! The people told me it was the best they had ever eaten (better than their moms') and they asked for the recipe pronto! Enjoy! (By the way, I'm making this tomorrow for another person who just had a baby... And another double batch, of course!) I'm including the recipe in its original form. However, I did not do all the microwaving... You can cook the sausage in a pan, and cook the lasagna in the oven at 375 for an hour (covered in foil) - let stand 10 minutes in the foil after baking.

Speedy Lasagna

1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
1 (26-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce with onions and roasted garlic
1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
6 no-cook lasagna noodles
2 cups ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I bought the plastic 5-oz containers in the refrigerated section and used the whole thing)

Crumble sausage into a plastic colander; place over a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute, and stir. Microwave at HIGH 3 to 3 1/2 minutes more, stirring every 30 seconds, or until sausage is done and no longer pink. Drain well on paper towels. Discard drippings. Rinse and wipe bowl clean.

Stir together sausage, spaghetti sauce, basil, and pepper in large bowl.
Spread one-third sausage mixture in bottom of a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch microwave-safe baking dish; top with 3 noodles, 1 cup ricotta cheese, and 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers once.

Top evenly with remaining sausage mixture and grated Parmesan cheese. Cover with double-thickness plastic wrap, and microwave at MEDIUM (50% power) 30 to 35 minutes. Using an oven mitt, carefully lift one corner of plastic wrap to allow steam to escape, and let stand in microwave 5 minutes before serving.


Right now, I am smelling the smell of wonderful banana bread in the oven... I cannot wait to hear the timer ding so I can eat some yummy warm banana bread! I got this recipe from a local school's cookbook (the recipe is from a local drugstore/diner - the old fashioned kind!). I haven't tried it yet, but I know it has to be good... And, if smells are any indicator, this one gets an A+!!!

Banana Bread
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 mashed bananas (black peel, super ripe are the best, most flavorful)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup chopped nuts
2 cups flour
pinch salt

Cream the sugar and margarine, then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the mashed bananas and the nuts. Sift the flour, salt and soda and add mixing well. Bake in a greased loaf pan for 45 minutes at 325.

No comments: